HOUSTON, TEXAS – Monica Cunningham, 21, of Houston, Texas died in her sleep last night while listening to music on her charging iPhone.
Monica Cunningham was listening to iTunes on her iPhone 6 Plus last night while attempting to fall asleep. The 21-year-old did nothing more than what she does every night before going to bed. She had just returned home from a night out with friends and family for her 21st birthday. Sadly, this night was the last night that Cunningham would enjoy her bedtime playlist.
Reports indicate that the parents had left for work around 8 a.m. this morning and had not checked in on their because she was tired from a night of celebrating and having her first drink with her friends and family. Darius Hudson, Monica’s boyfriend, called her several times only to get her voicemail. “I called my girlfriend about 4 or 5 times but it kept going to voicemail. I figured she probably had a hangover from last night but she would normally still answer the phone. My girl always answers the phone when I call or she texts me if she can’t talk. Since she didn’t answer, I drove to her house to see if she was home,” said Hudson.
Hudson’s gruesome discovery would forever change him and the Cunningham family. Hudson was given a key to the Cunningham residence prior to this incident incase of emergencies. Hudson used the key to enter the home where he noticed a “burnt” smell. “I thought I smelled burnt bacon so I checked the kitchen first. I just saw a box of cereal on the table and two half-filled cups of coffee. Since I didn’t see any food cooked, I decided to go upstairs and surprise my girl with some breakfast. I made her some sausage, eggs, and pancakes so she could put something on her stomach incase she had a hangover from last night. The burnt smell got stronger as I got upstairs. When I opened the door to Monica’s room, it smelled like someone had been barbecuing, that’s when I found Monica in the bed. I immediately ran over to her to see if she was okay but she was unresponsive so I called 911,” said Gates.
According to authorities, Cunningham fell asleep around 12:15 a.m. in her bedroom. The young woman had finished a conversation with her boyfriend shortly before starting up her playlist. Around 3 a.m. is when the device malfunctioned, resulting in the death of Cunningham. Medical examiners at the scene determined Cunningham was electrocuted by the iPhone as the cause of death. Officials also discovered that Cunningham was not using an official licensed Apple iPhone charger, which they believe contributed to the malfunctioning of the device.
“The charger failed to safely conduct the electricity from the outlet to the device. When the charger failed, the electricity surged from the outlet directly to the device sending the current through the connected earbuds Cunningham was using. The amount of electricity that surged through the device was too much for the body, causing Cunningham to be electrocuted. We have ruled out the iPhone 6 as it was not the cause, however the faulty unofficial charging unit seemed to be the only contributing factor,” according to officials.
“Our daughter always listens to music on her iPhone. She wanted a new iPhone for her birthday so we surprised Monica with one while we were out eating last night. We never would have thought that this phone would be the cause of us losing our only child,” said Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham.
The investigation will continue to find out where the charger was purchased. Officials have not found any foul play at this time.